Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Advertising/Decision Making

"Thus, simply by making us aware of and familiar with brands, advertisingand marketing creates preferences for these brands – compared to products and services which are not familiar to us. Given the choice between the familiar and the unfamiliar, most of us choose the familiar."

I myself stay true to brands I use daily, to the point where friends and family around me think I'm insane. If its labeled crunchy peanut butter, i'll only eat Skippy. To the point that if there are two containers of crunchy peanut butter in the house by other name brands, I will refuse to eat it and go out and buy the Skippy I enjoy. I do this with not only peanut butter but more then 40 brands ranging from the detergent I use to the seltzer water I buy. If I'm familiar with it, and I know it works or tastes good, then I won't change. Now I may be the extreme model and an advertisers dream, but this article reinforced for me that I'm not so different from everyone else. Everyone to some degree chooses the "familiar" product when shopping lets say at a grocery store. If they have used the product themselves or seen it "work" on tv they subconsciously choose the item over an unfamiliar one. This is the prime example of why advertising 'works'. Consumer decisions are influenced whether they are aware of the process or not. Now the idea of how we make decisions when we are equally familiar with two brans, the influencing power of a brand awareness evaporates. More awareness does not prompt us to choose one item we haven't tried our self over another. This idea interests me because I can't look into my self conscious and see why I pick colgate over crest toothpaste when i don't have a preference for either. At this point I usually find myself standing in the toothpaste isle for a long time just because I can't decide. Finally I pick one, and part of me wonders why I did. I can't come up with a reason for it. This I think is what makes the subconscious so interesting.


http://www.rightsideup.net/?p=218

No comments: